SPECIAL RULES PERTAINING TO THE SCHOOL BUS
District Code of Conduct
All students who ride the school bus shall, in addition to complying with all rules in this Student Code of Conduct, comply with the following additional rules:
Prior to Loading
- Be on time at the designated bus stop, arriving five (5) minutes before the bus is due.
- Wait for your bus at a safe place, well off the highway, on the side of the street where you live.
- Cross the street to enter the bus, if necessary, only when the bus is stopped and the red flag signals are on.
- Respect the property rights of people who reside on or near the bus stop.
- Do not get into private vehicles with strangers.
- Enter the bus in an orderly manner and take your seat. Bus drivers may assign seats.
While On the Bus
- Observe regular classroom conduct except for ordinary conversation and follow the bus driver’s instructions. The bus driver has the same authority on the bus as a teacher has in the classroom.
- Remain in your seat at all times, except when boarding and unloading. Do not change seats at bus stops.
- Keep your hands, head, feet and personal belongings inside the bus at all times.
- Do not talk or laugh loudly or engage in other similar conduct, as such conduct diverts the driver’s attention and may result in a serious accident.
- Do not damage or tamper with any parts of the bus. In addition to being subject to disciplinary action for violating this rule, you or your parents will be responsible for the payment of the cost of repair/replacement.
- Keep the aisle clear, except when entering or exiting.
- Do not throw anything in the bus or out bus windows.
- Horseplay, fighting, eating and drinking are strictly forbidden, as is all other conduct prohibited by this Code of Student Conduct.
- Be courteous to fellow passengers and the bus driver.
- The following items are not permitted in any school vehicle: live animals, weapons, drugs, alcohol or tobacco, flammable liquids (butane, gasoline, propane, fuel), fireworks, firecrackers, smoke bombs, tape recorders, radios, balls (except for team buses), water pistols, spray bottles, pea shooters, sling shots, skateboards, any item too large for a student to hold in his or her lap.
After Leaving the Bus
- When necessary, cross the road at least ten (10) feet in front of the bus, but only after looking to be sure that no traffic is approaching from either direction.
- Help look after the safety and comfort of small children.
- Be alert to the danger signal from the bus driver.
- Go directly to your school building in the morning and directly home in the afternoon.