On November 3, 1800, Jos. Johns dedicated a piece of ground at the corner of Market Street "for the purpose of erecting school houses and houses of public worship, free and clear of all incumbrances whatsoever". In 1811, a one story log school house, called "Old Blacky" was built. In 1835, "The Little Brick" was built on the southwest corner, and in 1850, the "White Schoolhouse" was moved from the corner of Walnut and Conemaugh Streets, and placed between "Old Blacky" and "The Little Brick". In 1855, the two building were removed, and the "Union Schoolhouse" was erected at a cost of $4,458. A two room brick building was erected in 1883, but along with "Little Brick" was destroyed in the 1889 Flood. One week after the flood, The Union Schoolhouse was destroyed in a fire. In 1898, the High School building shown in the photo was build at a cost of $100,000. This building, along with additions built in 1914, housed the Joseph Johns Junior High School, which is now Market Street Commons.
Read More »